I really forgot to post some more Trini sayings a long time ago, so here they are...
1. Playing dead to catch corbeau alive - A corbeau is a large bird that is a scavenger. It only eats dead animals and the like. So the only way to catch one is to pretend to be dead. This saying means in order to 'catch' someone at something you need to play the 'game' until the person is 'caught'.
2. Friend + Enemy = Frien-e-my (fren-ee-me). This says it all but still I'll say it: refers to an enemy who pretends to be your friend.
3. Stress + Pressure = Stressure (stress- shah). A beautiful trini word to express (you guessed it) extreme stress and pressure aka hardship.
4. When you can't get Mammy, take Granny. This means to make do with what you have until you can get what you want.
5. Dotish or too-tool-bay. Means stupid, foolish, idiot etc
There are many unique Trini sayings that have been passed down for years. Some of them are newer like frien-e-me and stressure. These sayings are part of our rich, complex, diverse and vibrant Trini culture. Another aspect of our culture is Carnival. So my next post will be undoubtedly about Carnival...